2017/2018 AG. CONTEST INFORMATION
ILLINOIS STATE GRANGE
AG. CHAIRMAN: Carol Neff 2nd Year Member: Albert Ebel
3601 Klein School Rd. 6199 Wolf Road
New Athens IL 62264 Kingston IL 60145
(618) 539-6113 815) 236-0890
(No home computer—only check
E-mails weekly or every 2 weeks) 1st Year Member:
RULES AND INFO:
1. ONE ENTRY PER PERSON IN EACH CATEGORY.
2. On entry form with list of items, PRINT Name, Grange, and County for EACH PERSON entering an item. Make extra copies of Form (if have a printer or bank, library, or other places may provide free copies).
a. Circle either Vegetable, Field Crop, Fruit, Flowers, Antiques or Junior and note Jr. age group where required.
b. Circle Item under each Category (i.e., Fruit—Grapes. etc.)
c. Note how many items are required so you don’t get disqualified.
3. Vegetables, Field Crops, and Fruit must be grown or harvested between 1 Sept. 2017 and Sept. 2018.
a. Will be auctioned unless picked up prior to the time announced at State Grange Session.
4. Flowers and Antiques can be from previous years. (Flowers not auctioned unless you want them auctioned.)
5. Miniature Garden/Fairy Garden—MAY NOT BE MADE FROM A KIT.
a. Be creative but ideas are also available in magazines, on the computer, at libraries, etc.
b. Suggestions: Use items from your yard, garden, or woods (twigs, stones, small branches, nuts, pinecone scales, pebbles, etc.), can cover a small birdhouse with items from nature (twigs, pinecone scales, pebbles, etc.) use doll house miniatures, etc., jelly beans, small silk blossoms, spongy moss, miniature items, sheet moss with adhesive backing (available at hobby stores, etc.), plus any other items.
c. Base can be slices of wood, low sided plastic container, or other items easy to transport.
6. Flower Arrangement:
a. Flowers may be grown in the garden OR purchased.
b. Judging will be done on how they are arranged and flowers used.
7. Antiques: (Farm Related or Household Antiques)
a. 1930 or any year prior to 1930.
b. Will be judged but WILL NOT BE SOLD AT THE AUCTION.
c. NOTE: Size—30” or smaller in either direction.
8. JUNIORS OR children or grandchildren of Grange members if a Grange does not have a Junior Grange.
a. Circle AGE category on entry form—The age is the age of the child as of September 2018.
b. Fill out top of entry form with name, Grange, and county.
b. Gourd Birdhouse—The Gourd can be grown or purchased. (Wren)
Child must decorate the gourd for the birdhouse but parent can drill the hole (Qtr size thru 1”).
c. Poster on declining population of Monarch Butterflies OR Bees OR Bats.
(1) Show about declining population and how we can help them.
(2) No limit to size.
a. Many juniors, children, and grandchildren help their parents garden so Juniors may enter the Vegetable Category.
(1) If children are not gardening, this may encourage them to do so.
b. The Juniors will be judged along with the adults—MAKE SURE TO NOTE THAT IT IS A JUNIOR ENTRY.